It’s Spring Break, and then…the final push for students to finish the year strong!
Resilience and grit are particularly important topics during this season when teens begin to experience the end-of-year slump. Between holidays, midterms, and school fatigue, teens and young adults are feeling less inspired around academic, career, and personal goals. In this series, we are going to explore the benefits of sticking with it through the hard times and the gifts that present themselves when you keep going.
Why Does Grit Matter?
- Researchers say teens with grit are more likely to succeed and thrive through life’s challenges.
- Science shows that our brain grows and changes in response to challenges.
- The way we respond to challenges informs the patterns of behavior we enact.
- Source: American Psychological Association (Angela Duckworth)
Grit is a particularly important topic during this season when teens begin to experience the end-of-year slump. Between holidays, midterms, and school fatigue, teens and young adults are feeling less inspired around academic, career, and personal goals. In this series, we are going to explore the benefits of sticking with it through the hard times and the gifts that present themselves when you keep going.
Parents: How to Build Grit in Teens
Passion, Goal Development, and Pursuit:
- Help your teen develop a passion for something on their own terms. The passion should be uniquely theirs.
- Create a goal around passion. It should be larger, outside of themselves.
- Once a teen identifies a goal, design systems to help the teen achieve it. Build internal motivation for success.
- Flexible thinking instead of all-or-nothing thinking.
- Failure brings the opportunity to learn.
- Failure and mistakes are part of the path to mastery.
Grit can be inherent in individuals, but it can also be learned. Building grit in teens allows them to tap into intrinsic motivation or motivation that comes from internal passion and desire. This self-driven motivation encourages the teen to pursue goals related to growth and fulfillment. Establishing a growth mindset with teens helps them build resilience around obstacles or unexpected delays in goal pursuit.
How We Can Help Your Teen Develop Grit
Developing Passions and Interests
- We help teens take stock of their values and beliefs and identify interests aligned with them.
Setting Meaningful Goals in Alignment with Values
- We teach teens the science behind goal setting, motivation, and resilience.
- We help teens get specific, measurable, and realistic about the goals they set to achieve.
Support and Accountability
- Teens use the coaching space to practice mobilizing what they have to get to where they want to be.
- Teens receive unconditional positive support from their coach as they take action towards their goals. A coach helps teens remain accountable for their goals and processes.
If your teen could use tailored coaching support to increase their resilience and grit, book a call with us today.